Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sink or Swim? Does anyone have a lifesaver they can throw me??

Take a deep breath. Just breathe deeply. Close your eyes. Breathe. Just focus on today. Get done what you can today. Don't think about tomorrow. Breathe...

That has been my mantra for the past two weeks. It's only the third week of school and already I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water. Such a cliche I know, but I can't help it. It's the only thing I can think of. I'm exhausted. I think I took on too much. I work four days a week (three nights, one morning shift), have class three days a week (two afternoons, one evening) and am hoping to start picking up subbing jobs this week, for three days a week. I try to see my boyfriend twice a week, sometimes we get three (two nights, one morning).

When I was an undergraduate I took 15-19 credits each semester and worked three jobs (FHIA, YMCA, Taylor School District for a year, and my dad's church for a year). I still found time to go out and party, go on dates, see my friends. Now I'm working one job and taking 13 credits and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've already gotten behind in classes. I've been wanting to write a blog and fill you all in on how busy I've been and what's going on in my classes, but I've been too busy to write it!

I feel like all I do is read, mainly because that IS all I do! Last week I read THE CATCHER IN THE RYE in two hours, plus I read four articles for one class, THE CHOCOLATE WAR for another, BEOWULF and the 20 page prologue and all the critique's in the back of the book (about 10-15 pages each, there were 4). I have to write reading responses in two of my classes. I had to create a VodCast (video podcast), which encompassed creating a handout and power point presentation, which meant that I also had to research the project...the research took me 4 hours, the power point took me 5!

Needless to say, I'm ready for a vacation.

Things aren't actually too bad. Just a bit stressful, and I will admit, I didn't exactly manage my time very well. So this week is the beginning of a new Claire! I bought a new planner, I filled in when everything is due (from readings to essays to unit plans to poetry readings), I've printed off everything I need for Monday, and after class on Monday I will print off everything I need for Wednesday.

I will be focused.

I will get things done.

I will not dilly-dally, procrastinate, or fall asleep while reading.

I will rock it out with my...nose to the grindstone (you thought I was going to say something else...my little dirty readers...lol)

I will be the best damn student ever!

And then I will collapse...but I think a dinner out with lots of wine will help...

On the plus side, I just received my first check in over a month!! Although it's about $600 shy of what I used to make, it's still a LOT of money for someone who was skating along with $7 in her account!! WOO HOO!!

okay, that's enough for now...I promise that my next one won't be so stressful...I'll have a good story for you next time...

2 comments:

  1. How was The Chocolate War, someone recently told me to read that....

    Also, just keep swimming! (as Dory in Finding Nemo would say)

    Also! I love you friend! I got your letter today, it's funny that it had all these questions that I answered like, two weeks ago. haha.

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were going to say:

    Rock out with your cock out
    Hang out with your wang out

    or

    Jam out with your clam out!

    ReplyDelete