Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hey! Lay off the layoffs!

Okay, friends, it's time I update you all on my life. So I have to inform you that there is a 98% chance of me joining the ranks of the unemployed. In fact, if you're reading this on December 1st, then there's a good chance I've already joined those ranks.

I knew that my hours would be getting cut once my boss retired and a supervisor was promoted to that position. There have been a few hints of lost hours circulating...for example, in September and October I was working four shifts a week, then in November, I was suddenly only working 7. Total. For the entire month. Seven shifts. Some shifts are five hours, and some are 7 hours...you can do the math, but I'll go ahead and tell you what it equals: not enough money to survive. My last check covered two tanks of gas, a coffee, and my cell phone bill. woo hoo.

I was told on Thursday that I should look for a new job, and to make it my "primary" job as there won't be any hours for any of us part-time employees. So, in eight days, I am pretty much out of a job, as are most other part-time employees. As I'm sure you've already guessed (if you know me) I'm in a bit of freak out mode. Luckily, I have amazing parents who have agreed to pay my November, December, and January car payment...

And you know what? It makes me feel sad and betrayed and angry that someone who has run this company since it opened in 1995 would allow it to get this bad by not managing a budget, and now it's affecting so many people ! Where is the sense that since you're in charge, perhaps you should be responsible and take your head out of the flipping sand!!! This place has been like a second home for me. This is my sixth year there...and now? We cross our fingers that it survives...

Anyways, please say some prayers for me! If you see any jobs that are hiring, or you know someone who is looking to hire someone, maybe 15-20 hours a week...you know where to find me!!

This Thanksgiving, I will be thankful for...having gotten to know and become friends with so many amazing people, for my family, for the wonderful Luke who loves me through all of this, and for the support I receive from all!

1 comment:

  1. Aw Clarie, I'm so sorry friend! I'm praying for you and if I hear or see anything I'll let you know. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete