Monday, May 3, 2010

Updates & Reflections

Wow! It's been a long time since I've told you anything about my life! Well, here we go...


1. I finished student teaching a week and a half ago. It's amazing to think that it's over. I keep expecting a Monday morning to come and have to go back to school. Good thing my mom's keeping me busy with house and yard work or I would be going CRAZY with boredom!


One of the things that I've realized, is that I touched a lot of students that I wish I had spent more one on one time with. One of them said that I gave her the courage to write...I had no idea that I had done that, and I sure wish I knew HOW I did it! I wish that the students I tried so hard to influence and help would show that it worked, but I guess that's how it is. The ones you want to fix so badly won't always show that difference, and the ones that you never spend enough time with, will. There are students that I wish I had talked to more, even if it was just to say hello and have a great day. I think that when I have my own classroom I will ensure that I stand at the door when students walk in and when they walk out. High fives for everyone! Maybe I'll just try to spend a few minutes each day talking to a different student in each class. Hmmm...I'll figure it out, and it's good that I was given the opportunity to student teach, because now I know what I need to do in the future.

2. I am SO BEHIND on my apply for out-of-state jobs to do list! I started my North Carolina application, but I haven't finished it. I need to just sit down and do it! By Tuesday, it'll be completed!

3. Luke and I really want to get married! But we need some money first. And jobs. Then we can do it. So if you know of any areas that are hiring both Construction Managers and secondary English/Language Arts teachers, LET US KNOW!

4. I've been dreaming about my students lately. Once I dreamt I was the football coach, once I dreamt I took one of my favorite female students to a concert and we got drunk and high (which is crazy because I would NEVER go anywhere with a student alone, let alone allow any alcohol or marijuana into the picture!). But last night, I dreamt some guy jumped off a roof and landed on my car, killing himself, and all I was upset about was my car...how was I so heartless? Anyways, lots of weird dreams lately, but none that have me totally freaked out, so that's a good thing!

5. I've been obsessed with young adult literature! I started and finished Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordin in a week...they were amazing! I also really loved Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras by Scott Westerfeld. And thanks to my fab Texas-preggers friend, I read Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella yesterday and LOVED IT! Not young adult literature, but she is my favorite author! I always connect with her characters!

Okay, this little girl needs to go to sleep! Becky is in town for Nate's graduation, so I've gotta be up and at 'em early tomorrow morning! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment